About Me

My photo
I'm just a small-town girl who loves to read and write, often times listening to country music while doing so.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Jealousy

An emotion runs deep, burning so passionately that a friendship is ruined and relationship is savagely torn apart. It's fuelled by anger, by hate, by betrayal and it burns so strong that nobody can stop it. It's called jealousy and I know first-hand what it feels like to be on the receiving end of it. Just last night I witnessed a friend lash out at me because he was jealous, jealous of what he thought he had (me) but belonged to another (my boyfriend). He lashed out in anger, constantly accusing me of lying and insinuating that the feelings I have for my boyfriend are an illusion. It's depressing to think of how one jealous thought could have brought to life a passionate hatred, a hatred pointed at one's friend. A simple word, fairly easy to spell, has created such intense negative feelings that a once great friendship has ended in hatred. Jealousy. A word I hate, an emotion I loathe. Jealousy empowers those to do what they could not do previously: resent others for things they do not have. The most common form of jealousy in this world is that of wealth. Many are jealous and resent those who have wealth in the form of money, others despise wealth of another sort, the gift of being in a relationship. To be jealous of someone because they are with a person you believe you love is hard to deal with and nearly impossible to control. It is the strongest form of jealousy, it is a jealous rage that drives some to kill (whether it be themselves or another). A jealous drive that the world could do without. I resent jealousy, for it is something I have felt. I know the anger it fuels, and I resent that despicable feeling. Jealousy is useless, it alters your paradigms on life in a negative way and destroys your ability to love and trust. I would rather live my life with love, knowing that no matter how hurt I am I still have the capacity to care for others and to know that there are some who care for me as well. I would rather live in a world fuelled by love and compassion than one fuelled by jealousy and rage. But, we can't alter the inner beliefs/thoughts of anyone but ourselves. So, unless the world begins to cast out those wretched thoughts of hatred, there is nothing to be done about the state the world is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers